We know that exercise is good for us but we may not know some of the specific benefits of regular exercise. On a basic level humans are more suited to physical activity rather then sedentary lifestyle and tons of research attests to this fact as well as anecdotal evidence. We know that people involved in active careers such as athletes are fitter than people working in offices.
Our physical systems such as the cardiovascular and lymphatic and the bodily organs such as the heart, colon and skin benefit from movement.
Some benefits of regular exercise:
The following list of 10 benefits of regular exercise is by no means exhaustive but it will give you some idea of the benefits so that you may be motivated to take up this activity.
- Good for the heart – the heart is a muscle which benefits from regular exertion such as jogging, brisk walking, skiing, gardening or any physical activity. According to www.webmd.com people who do not exercise are twice as likely to get heart disease as compared to people who are active.
- Lowers high Blood Presure – how does exercise lowers your blood pressure, according to the Mayo Clinic “regular physical activity makes your heart stronger. A stronger heart can pump more blood with less effort. If your heart can work less to pump, the force on your arteries decreases, lowering your blood pressure.”
- Decreases bad cholesterol – Physical activity can help raise high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, the “good” cholesterol and reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL) the “bad” cholesterol.
- Controls high blood sugar for Diabetics – Exercise can help you improve your blood sugar control, as well as boost your overall fitness and reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke. A daily brisk walk for at least 20 minutes helps with Diabetes control.
- Decreases stress – Not only does it keep the heart healthy and get oxygen into the system, but it helps deplete stress hormones and releases mood-enhancing chemicals such as endorphins (the happy hormone) which help us cope with stress better.
- helps with depression – When you exercise, your body releases chemicals called endorphins. These endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce your perception of pain or other stresses thus improving your outlook and gives positive motivation.
- helps to control body weight – When you engage in physical activity, you burn calories. The more intense the activity, the more calories you burn. Physical activity can reduce weight, main your ideal weight or indeed help you to gain weight with the right diet as a result of improved metabolic function. we know of cases where a small and weak child who took up exercise and became bigger and stronger.
- Increased energy and stamina – increased energy and greater stamina is another benefit of regular exercise. Exercise and physical activity deliver oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and help your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. When your heart and lungs work more efficiently, you have more energy.
- Promotes better sleep – Regular physical activity can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. Better sleep allows the body to repair and regenerate bodily organs and systems. Do not exercise too close to bedtime, or you may be too energized to fall asleep.
- Helps to detoxify the body – It is said that a build up of toxins over time leads to many diseases and one of the best ways to get rid of these toxins from the body is through exercise where the lymphatic system is activated to eliminate toxins and also toxins are eliminated through the skin when sweating take place as well as through forceful breathing.
Caution: when thinking of taking up exercise please be sensible and if you are ill consult your healthcare practitioner and do not over exert yourself. As a general rule for everybody over exertion exercising is not recommended, for example Tai Chi is a gentle art that leads to many health benefits, although in general it is best to combine the hard and soft forms of exercise.
Take up an exercise that you enjoy, this will be more beneficial as you are more likely to do it regularly. Exercise should not be seen as a burden but some thing you look forward to.